David Libby, one of the attendees has a detailed posted based on the notes he took that provides an excellent overview of the discussions that took place. We also recorded the session via Ustream.tv, which i have embedded below.
The Roundtable discussion was a chance to learn from the attendees and the panelists what companies need to think about and how they need to approach being a 'Coversational Corporation'. The title comes from a recent ebook that i published with Shel Israel (one of the panelists), Robert Scoble and Greg Merkle called the The Conversational Corporation: How Social Media is Changing the Enterprise'.
I started off the discussion with introductions, asking the participants to tell us what they would like to get out of the discussion, the list was diverse and included:
- How invested do we want to be from the start?
- How do we work with our legal departments? (we had a good conversation about legal being very good at focusing on 'risk' and that we still have issues going to trial)
- What are some of the non-traditional ways to do business using social networking
- How do you bring it all together? (tools, messages, initiatives)
- How do you stay ahead of your clients? (especially important for professional services providers)
- Transcending Time-zones with social media for global companies and clients
- Non-profit use of social media
- Social Media-> how different is it from PR?
- Using Social Media to coordinate and promote events
- How to get your Salesforce into the conversation?
- Things to keep in mind when thinking about using social media in a regulated industry
- Focusing on the Story.....instead of the Tools!
To watch the video of the roundtable discussion, make sure you turn up the volume both on your PC as well as on the player below because some of the people in the back are sometimes hard to hear.
After the roundtable discussion and some drinks and appetizers out on the lovely sunny patio we got to take the participants on a tour of the Palo Alto Wall Street Journal printing plant which is always a treat!
A big thank you to all the attendees, panelists and internal Dow Jones people that made this event happen!
More photos from the event can be found here.